Saturday 29 August 2020

Top 20 Common Interview Questions (With Perfect Answers)

Are you going for an interview?  Practicing answers to the common interview questions that are very likely to come up in the interview can help you ace the interview.

There are different types of interview questions; the mostly asked interview questions (common questions), behavioural interview questions, and situational interview questions are the most frquesnly asked questions in an interview.

In this guide I’ll be listing the top 20 common interview questions and answers  that if well practiced, can help you ace your next interview.

Common Interview Questions and Answers

Below are the possible questions that you mostly come up in any interview regardless of the industry you are interviewing.

Common interview questions #1

Tell me about yourself

“I’ve been in the banking industry for over four years, primarily working in account and project management roles. I most recently worked as a senior PM for a large health company doing account management and overseeing other project managers. And now I’m looking to expand my experience across different industries, particularly a tech industry like yours, and I believe with my experience I will be able to give the company the best.”

Common interview questions #2

What is your desired salary?

“While I am certainly flexible for proper negotiation, I am looking forward to receiving between #100,000 – #150,000 monthly. Based on my experience and skills, I believe the range is comfortable and appropriate one for my position.”

Common interview questions #3

What motivates you?

“I’m really driven by results. I like it when I have a concrete goal to meet and enough time to figure out a strong strategy for accomplishing it. At my last job, our yearly goals were very aggressive, but I worked with my manager and the rest of my team to figure out a month-by-month strategy for meeting the year-end numbers. It was a real thrill to accomplish that, I felt so good and wish to experience same here”

Common interview questions #4

What are your career goals?

“In the short term, one of my goals is to continue developing myself as a full stack web developer. I want to help brands create world-class robust websites. In addition, I would be looking into the mobile app development field. I’ve come to realize that websites and mobile app has a link. I will love to apply this skill set to establish you company as one of the top in the industry.”

Common interview questions #5

How would you describe yourself?

I’m a creative thinker. I like to explore alternative solutions to problems, and I have an open mind about what will work best. My creativity has made me an effective team leader because I can anticipate problems and proffer solutions.

Common interview questions #6

Why should we hire you?

“After working in this same position with another organization for over eight years, I successfully managed a team of 12 in our marketing department where I was responsible for approving and managing budgets and developing creative campaigns. In fact, one campaign I oversaw generated a 14% increase in awareness among our target demographic. Now, I’m ready to spread my wings at a company of your size.”

Common interview questions #7

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

“My goal right now is to find a position at a company where I can grow and take on new challenges over time. Ultimately, I’d like to assume more management responsibilities and get involved in product strategy. But most importantly, I want to work for an organization where I can build a career.”

Common interview questions #8

What are your weaknesses?

“I struggle with organization. While it hasn’t ever impacted my performance, I’ve noticed my messy desk and cluttered inbox nonetheless could interfere with my efficiency. Over time, I’ve learned to set aside time to organize my physical and digital space, and I’ve seen it improve my efficiency levels throughout the week.”

Common interview questions #9

What are your strengths?

“I consider my leadership skills to be one of my greatest strengths. During my time as a department head, I successfully merged two teams and organized training programs for all team members to ensure that everyone was confident in their new role. As a result, we were able to increase sales by 5% within our first month as a new team.”

Common interview questions #10

Why do you want to work here?

“This company has a wonderful reputation as a great place to work. You place high value on your employees and encourage them to learn, grow, and innovate inside the company. This means that employees happily work here for many years, far beyond the average length with one employer. And, according to your customers, the high quality of your products and services reflect your high employee satisfaction, which is not surprising. This feels like a win-win-win for stockholders, employees, and customers, and I would be very happy to join this organization.”

Common interview questions #11

What are you passionate about?

I’m passionate about painting. I take an evening art class once a week and try to find time each weekend to paint. Painting is a good way for me to relax after a busy week. I also feel that it helps me to be more creative in other aspects of my life. Some of my most creative solutions to work problems have come when I’m painting in the studio.

Common interview questions #12

Why are you looking for a new job?

“In my current role, there is a very little growth opportunity. The next position in line is held by the lead Health Information Technician so I truly have reached my peak there. I am very thankful for everything my current company has offered me the past 4 years; however, I would like to expand my horizons.”

Common interview questions #13

Why do you want this job?

“I think my biggest priority right now in my job search is to continue building my business development skills. I took on more and more of that in my last role as a Recruiter and enjoyed it a lot. I reviewed the job description and saw this is mentioned a lot, so I thought the position seems like not only a good fit for what I want, but a role where my skillset would be well-used and needed.  So that’s why I want this job.”

Common interview questions #14

Why did you choose this career?

“I chose medicine as a career because I love learning new things. As a medical doctor, I am always challenging myself to keep current on medical trends and training so that I can provide the best care to my patients. Every day as a doctor, I learn something new from my colleagues, nurses, and patients, which inspires me to explore a deeper knowledge of the techniques and procedures I use.”

Common interview questions #15

What are your hobbies?

 “I love to write in my free time. I have tons of notebooks filled with plots, character sketches, and obviously some random doodles. This passion took birth during my childhood. Every summer my parents would encourage me and my brothers to perform a skit. We would all find a perfect story, stitch the costumes ourselves, put up a set and make the invitations! It was an elaborate affair and very exciting. I loved to be on the story and concept team even back then. I take delight in writing short stories about the experiences I encounter every day. Due to my inclination towards writing and acting, I was a key member of the dramatics society during my school and college days. I also enjoy reading blogs and poetry.”

Common interview questions #16

What are your reasons for leaving your job?

“Unfortunately, the company’s biggest client went out of business at the beginning of the year and that had a major effect on the company overall revenues. As a result, they had to eliminate some positions and I was among their most recent hires”

Common interview questions #17

How do you handle stress?

“I’m very sensitive to the nuances of group dynamics. If there’s an unhealthy amount of stress within the team, I can pick up on some of that stress too. So, what I do is to try to proactively listen to the concerns of the people around me, checking in frequently to see whether they, themselves, are under stress. If they are, I think about how I can help them with their workload so the collective stress of the team doesn’t escalate. When the team’s happy, I’m happy.”

Common interview questions #18

Are you willing to relocate?

Sure! As an entry-level applicant, I have nothing tying me down here. My ambition is to land a job working for a global company where I can advance my career over the long haul. And if this means moving in order to gain experience, enhance your operations, or secure promotions, bring it on! I love exploring and adapting to new environments and local cultures—there are always new friends to be made and interesting experiences to gain.

Common interview questions #19

What is your dream job?

“Teamwork and communicate are two skills I value, so I would love to work in a job setting where everyone works together well and holds themselves accountable. I always make sure to finish my assignments on time, and I would love to depend on my coworkers to do the same. I have always been a positive person, which translates to my work as well. Even when working on a challenging project, I find it essential to stay positive about it. I believe this could influence my coworkers to act similarly.”

Common interview questions #20

What questions do you have for me?

Below are good questions to ask your interviewer during an interview.

  • What do the day-day-responsibilities of the position look like?
  • What is the most important thing I can accomplish in the next 30 days, 6 months, or even 1 year?
  • Who will I closely be working with?
  • What do you think is most challenging in this role?
  • What are the company values?
  • How does this company define and measure success?
  • What’s your favorite part about working at the company?.
  • What makes you good at your job?
  • Does the company offer opportunities for professional development?

Conclusion

Getting familiar with the possible questions that come up in an interview and perfect answers to the question is an effective interview preparation tip that can help you succeed in the interview. With the above questions and answers, be sure to go to your interview with confidence.

That’s it on my guide

I’d love to hear from you

I hope you found the guide helpful?

Which sample answer do you find more interesting to you? Is it answer to question #1, #7, #9, #11, #15, or #20?

Feel free to share your thoughts.

image credit: gettyimages

No comments:

Post a Comment